rollerball podcast

no rules!

Moderators: bigwave, AirMail, pillow

Boyenko Racing 206
Province/State: Alberta

Re: rollerball podcast

Postby Boyenko Racing 206 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:36 am

Ross was the " Man " and still is. Great interview ! I lived in Saskatoon and help romote races there with The "Canadian Beevo " Tony Towstego. We had Ross come to our Supercross races at the Exibition Grounds. Confedies Bar is where Ross sufffered his head injury and spent many days in the hospital there. Was Carl Basstido his manager at the time?. Just wonder if they are friends still? .... Ross, you bring back alot of good memories for many old racers like myself. Thanks.
I'm a graduate of the Niky Kinoshita Motocross school.
Rooster

Postby Rooster » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:51 am

What was the story of that bar fight injury. I've never heard any detail about it.
HAMMERTIME
the ultimate god
Location: watching the AMA lites then going to a CMRC Nat is like a steak dinner compared to a spam breakfast

Postby HAMMERTIME » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:27 pm

ross got almost killed in that bar by the bouncers.
TwoWheelsConsulting

Postby TwoWheelsConsulting » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:44 pm

Yeah, we still keep in touch. That barfight was sort of the beginning of the end of the career.
Ross had started to slack off in 88 and that incident in 89 was the result. I remember I had to go down to the CBC offices in Toronto and they put me on the National. I lied and talked about how out of character it was for him to be in a situation like that, he had lots of sponsors and young fans.

He came back strong though and still won most everything thru 1993 when he retired. Funny when you do an interview like that how things get blownup, he was a little nervous about the jumps, especially the "gap jumps" as he called them, but the lack of a good ride and the prodding from everyone around him to go out on top probably had more to do with it than the jumps.

Anyone who races misses the game for a few years after they retire and want to come back but everyone around him was against it.
CN 791

Postby CN 791 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:08 pm

i was about 14-15yrs old and thought ross was a god! i remember hearing about the fight that ross was in. the story/rumor was that ross was with some buds at the bar and some guys were trying to fight a guy in ross's crew so the big champ challanged these guys and he ended up on the short end of the stick! i sure would like to hear the actual details of the night!! someone must know.
GasGas

Postby GasGas » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:38 am

That was a great pod cast! Steve, I sure hope you can get him out to the Toronto Supercross. He sounds like he could use the time with old friends. :!
181 Kyle Elliott 1987-2009
Rice Paddy Daddy

Postby Rice Paddy Daddy » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:49 am

Yeah, I heard that about the fight in the bar.

Did they kick him in the head, did he fall and hit his head on the cement?

Sounded like it was pretty serious.

Return to “motoRcross chat:”