Moto Cycle

no rules!

Moderators: bigwave, AirMail, pillow

rew
Province/State: Nova Scotia

Moto Cycle

Postby rew » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:04 am

been around this sport for along time and think I am seeing the third cycle of moto popularity. It seems like every eight to ten years moto becomes a "fad" and then fades back out of the fad stage builds steam and makes a come back. I can remember when any bike was cool (1970's) then the magazines came on board and spiked moto to its first real plato in the 80's, then the CMA CMRC thing( in Canada)seemed to divide the moto world and then a fade. Then the internet, forums and extreme movement spiked moto to the top of its game, thus far, and then the big drop with the CMRC SWO battle, CMA BS, forum drop offs, local racing is back down to the core riders, and the moto world again seems to have dropped down a notch or two...so what's the next big thing thats going to bring moto back up?
AirMail
Pink Palace All Star
Province/State: British Columbia

Re: moto cycle

Postby AirMail » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:28 am

JS-7 back on the bike will ignite a re-newed type of interest with some who bored of recent winners etc....

I think even though we will never ever see the sales we saw in the 70's of units per capita; I really believe that if every manufacturer started making competitive 2-Strokes again our sport would explode!

The other thing t that would help Canadian Moto is to get our races back on mainstream TV in Canada. I have asked and interviewed many many kids and put this question to them.....

"How did you hear about or get into Moto"............response "I saw it on TV and thought it was cool" Hell I had to tell Matt Goerke the other night that our races were not even available on You-Tube yet. I did tell him that he was lucky as that living in the U.S. this Sunday he could watch the round that almost changed his 2015 title fate (Riverglade) on Fox Sports Racing...

That bullshit disclaimer about calling the cable company? I and many others did that.....I don't think they give two shits about Moto......If this sport is to grow and keep the momentum we have built in last few years going somebody needs to give a shit...!

I guess we will continue to see a spike in Tennis, Dart, Soccer and Hockey players........

As for 2016, how do you all think Bubba will do...? Dungey was faster than he has ever been this season outdoors......Barcia looks good and will come in on a mission ............Even though Hammer may never post on here ever again, the safe money is on a post from him to set the record straight as he see's it; That Chad Reed will never podium or win again :roll:

Seeing as nobody really wants to talk MXON lets have your opinion on this thread friends as well as the 2 upcoming AX's and Supercross.....? :!
brewrabb

Re: Moto Cycle

Postby brewrabb » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:06 am

Psyched to see Bubba returning - about time. How will he do, well I'm guessing. As for non moto - how about those Blue Jays! :! Road trip to the World Series anyone? Oh, go, Tomac, go!
'78 XR75, '77 PE250, '81 KX125,'82 KX125, '85 CR500, '98 KX250, '04 KX250F, '05 KX250, '07 KX250, '09 SX150,...?
motomoto
Province/State: Ontario

Postby motomoto » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:07 pm

Not sure what your referring to. Moto has never been bigger in Canada, even better than the Golden Years. (1972 to 1976).
CMA vs CMRC had nothing to do with the decline from the early 80's to the late 90's. It had to do with the fact that more than
100,000 motorcycles where sold in Canada in the early 80's and less than 25,000 by the early 90's (it was the same decline worldwide
including the US).
Sales have come back, not to the early 80's numbers but close.
In Ontario you have 3 or 4 races run by different organizations most weekends, each with hundreds of entries. Quebec is huge, as it was back in those days.
Things are good in Moto and I don't see us going anywhere in the next few years.
rew

Postby rew » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:05 am

optimism is awesome but....
I agree with the Quebec deal, moto is healthy in the Quebec region
the ontario thing, well I'm not there but...

Airmail is in tune, media whether is social media, tv, radio, you tube, what ever, we need access to the top level of racing to maintain momentum. our corner speed sucks but we can pin it on the straights, we need to put it together

I've heard way more talk about the riders who made the trek to Indiana than I have about the Canadian nat's...because we all got to see it so we have some thing to talk about.

JS7, I'm with Matthes, wins straight rhythm wins MEC, and then retires and says fuck you WADA, blows a couple doughnuts in his lambo and is done 8)
pillow
the ultimate god
Location: drinking margarita's on the beach...somewhere between Kits and Cabo

Postby pillow » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:15 am

this is the most important thing...
I think even though we will never ever see the sales we saw in the 70's of units per capita; I really believe that if every manufacturer started making competitive 2-Strokes again our sport would explode!
the sport is just too expensive to get started in, a couple guys that work for me want to ride, but they are nervous to go drop $10,000 on a bike and can't find a used 125 anywhere...and they are willing to pay $2500-3500

I couldn't tell you if it's growing or not, I'm in Vancouver...and we have our own wierd bubble going on here #-o
http://www.truxxx.com

"Life isn't like a bowl of cherries, it's more like a
jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow......"

"Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom."
-George S. Patton

Somebody stole my 2008 CRF250R ~ vin # JH2ME102X8K410130
as82
Province/State: British Columbia

Postby as82 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:44 pm

I was at a local race this weekend. Not only was the parking lot full of trailers, but the street was lined with overflow cars. Pretty much every class had a full gate, and the day of racing didn't end until around 6:30pm. That being said, it can always be bigger and better. None of my non-rider friends heard word one about the race though, no local coverage at all, no promotion. To be fair, arenacross is more suited to spectators, but the old saying rings true about no matter how excited you are and how big a deal race day Sunday is, by Monday its forgotten.

For spectators the barrier to popularity is getting people the background on the people in the sport. I like to compare it to a UFC card. The fights are a lot better when you know the backstory of the fighters involved. The UFC shoves the backstory down your throat with multiple pre-shows, buildups, and in show segments. This is could be better with motocross in Canada. I'm new(ish) to motocross, but I was at a national this year. I want to be informed and know whats going on, but its not as easy as it should be. Nowhere on site could I see the current standings in the series, and watching the previous rounds....well hopefully I can watch some soon even though the series is over. We need heros in the sport for the kids to know and look up to, and more coverage promotes this.

My wife used to tolerate me watching SX and MX on speed or cbs, or where ever I could find it, but after exposing her to some "inside the moto" and other such content she became interested in the names she knew.
rew

Postby rew » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:41 am

"My wife used to tolerate me watching SX and MX on speed or cbs, or where ever I could find it, but after exposing her to some "inside the moto" and other such content she became interested in the names she knew"

BINGO
:!

Return to “motoRcross chat:”