Moto series in Canada, FIM/CMRC, RockStar, what does 2018 look like?

no rules!

Moderators: bigwave, AirMail, pillow

as82
Province/State: British Columbia

Moto series in Canada, FIM/CMRC, RockStar, what does 2018 look like?

Postby as82 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:44 pm

I feel most the people here probably know a lot more about Canadian MX than I do. I know very little other than what pops up on my FB feed or what I hear at my local races. Seems like there is a lot going on though. Seems there is always a lot of behind the scenes drama behind race promotion.

Jetwerx announces their FIM/CMA sanctioned AX SX MX triple crown today....sponsored by Rockstar.
CMRC has historically had its pro national series sponsored by Rockstar (at least as long as I've been around which admittedly aint long).

So for next year will there be 2 outdoor series? Will both be sponsored by Rockstar?

How do we see this playing out, what are your opinions? What series/sanctioning body will emerge as dominant. Why do we like one over the other? Is this good or bad for MX in Canada.

What do we make of the triple crown format? Is the prize money enough to draw the pro teams? What factory teams are bought into 1 series over another.

Sure we can always "wait and see" but it wouldn't be motocross without people speculating about what they think will happen, what they want to happen, and letting everyone know who's an asshole or idiot?
berno
Ordained Minister of motoRcross

Re: Moto series in Canada, FIM/CMRC, RockStar, what does 2018 look like?

Postby berno » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:24 pm

I just listened to the press conference and it sure seems like they have a lot of work ahead of them. Pretty much all the questions that were asked remained unanswered and were just 6 months away from a season that will go from Feb to the end of November. Sounds like teams and manufacturers have no clue what's going on.

They basically cancelled the 2017 fall AX series that was supposed to start next month without telling anyone until today from what I understand. The flyer they printed had quite a few mistakes. I got mad before the actual press conference even started on the Youtube video because their MX logo says MOTORCROSS and the SX logo says SUPERRCROSS. Then there's the mistake with the date of the first outdoor....

Also, I'm guessing the BMO Center is not really in Montreal. If it's the same BMO Center they previously announced for the fall series it should be in St-Hyacinthe. It's about 45 minutes away from Montreal. From the very few photos that can be found of that place online; there are no seats for spectators at this venue. It's used for indoor soccer and conventions. St-Hyacinthe is a great market for a dirt bike race IMO. How many seats can they get in there?

I love the idea and wish it will work out for the best for everyone involved but at this point I gotta say I'm a bit skeptical about 2018.
as82
Province/State: British Columbia

Postby as82 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:19 pm

I would agree that things seemed a little rushed. I noticed spelling mistakes and errors in the schedules and information. I get that its a minor thing, but it does lack a certain level of professionalism. The miss queue with the facebook live broadcast could have been tested a little earlier. Finding information its pretty easy to get lost in the webpages. for instance "http://www.arenacrosstour.ca/" has a banner about the press conference...but the lead story after that is a page on how to get ready for a 2016 arenacross event in Calgary. "Jetwerx.ca" doesn't mention a thing about any new series. If I was trying to launch a new series I would do the prep work to make sure the information is easy to find and released/updated along side my announcement.

Maybe I'm being a little demanding on a non-existent marketing department though.

If it was me I would do everything I could to provide some basic information. Where and when are the events. Info on how to sign up for licenses and the event.

In terms of what it actually does for racing. Its definitely going to confuse things. I just hope the dust settles quickly because twice the racing makes for half sized gates. On my side of the country we got Future West and MCQMX. I've been partial to CMRC and MCQMX but have nothing against future west either. One thing for sure, around here it makes for so much racing that you have to choose where you race. The downside of two series is you don't know what series will be the most competitive or have the biggest gates. I wish we could get full gates, but we aint there yet in either series in these parts. Neither side seems ready to fold any time soon around here.

How can we have 2 champions....I don't think the 2 sides are going to get together, but I'd love to see a consolidation race at the end the season even if it was unsanctioned by either party (as most people are probably going to by 1 license or another).
Bosscat

Postby Bosscat » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:29 am

Just another case of wannabe Bernie’s

This will be much the IRL/INDYCAR split

Nobody wins, everybody loses

G Reed is in the house

Return to “motoRcross chat:”