Winter Projects

for those who have memories they want to cherish and re-live...or just forgot how bad the old bikes really were!

Moderators: bigwave, AirMail, pillow

steve66

Re: Winter Projects

Postby steve66 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:10 pm

I always liked the mid 80's cr's,good luck with your project Traileater,from what I remember the 84 CR250 had a pretty potent motor but had an issue with the ring snagging the exhaust ports (if I recall correctly memory is a little foggy) it looks like your plastic isn't too bad and should clean up well ,for $150 bucks it's a steal if you can find the parts required for the resto.The exhaust was the main expansion chamber at the front which then joined a section about 12-14" long that went to the muffler (behind the side panel).......here's a shot of the Hurricane on an 84 for inspiration,I also included a couple of pics of an 1985 that was on ebay (It was so nice it made me think about getting it but I've never dealt with ebay so I didn't persue it) the pipe should be similar to the 84. -Steve Image Image Image
traileater

Postby traileater » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:31 pm

Thanks Steve, I have a few boxs of mxa, and other mags from 76 to 86 but am missing 84 for some reason. Im looking for articles and reference of the bike, I was thinking of building a hannah replica actually. A friend of mine is good at fiberglass molds and said he could make a piece that looks like the factory honda lower tank. From there I dont think it would be hard to replicate the rest, just a lot of details. Your right, the early run of 250's had that locator pin problem (so Im told) which was remedied with an updated piston.
Im still doing the stripdown and so far its not too bad, better then %70 for useable parts, finding all minty or oem parts might be hard but everything is available in 1 form or another.
Bernie
steve66

Postby steve66 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:03 pm

Bernie,I have a dec83 issue of dirt bike which has a test of the 84 CR250 I can scan it and e-mail it to you if you want to pm me your e-mail address.-Steve
TOP 5
Province/State: Ontario

Postby TOP 5 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:05 pm

I have a 1974 kx 125 im workin on. ive learned that this vintage thing is so so so slow its killing me.but got most of the parts on order now and waiting for the pipe from vintage iron
claricia61
Province/State: Non US/Canada

Postby claricia61 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:58 pm

Maico450 wrote:This winters project is to build a 1971 Maico 400 Sq. BBl and make it competitive for the Ahrma
500 sportsman ex. class.
I have requested that Ahrma have a class for early 70's 2 strokes, ( 69 to 72) , but they feel
that a 400 Sq. BBl can and will be competitive with the 73/74 bikes that are usually run in
the Sportsman class.
So i am going to take the challenge and build a bike from parts inventory rachat de crédit, put on a radial conical front brake in place of the small drum brake stock on the Sq. Bbl, and see what it does.
Plans are to have the bike ready for Ahrma season opener in February, and I will bring along
my 74 Radial for backup.

Cheers Rick Hudson

It is true that a drum brake is feared sometimes, but you have to do with and not roll too fast you do not believe.

Return to “Old SchOoL MoTo...”