Favorite vintage/evolution bike

for those who have memories they want to cherish and re-live...or just forgot how bad the old bikes really were!

Moderators: bigwave, AirMail, pillow

justpinit
pink palace legend
Province/State: British Columbia
Location: Sitting in a pile of aluminum chips with a princess auto dremel

Favorite vintage/evolution bike

Postby justpinit » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:52 pm

OK....no spending limits, and you already have a modern bike to ride. What would you have sitting in the garage beside the new bike??

I want on of these....'81 Maico 490 :v :v

kook

Re: Favorite vintage/evolution bike

Postby kook » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:02 am

When I was a kid my dad raced a lot of off-road stuff in the U.S. There were always this group of fast guys at those races who'd ridden the six days, sponsored by ROKON. Even at 6 years old I thought the disc brakes and mag wheels and pull start and auto-trans were cool. Those ROKON's made all the CanAMs and Bultacos and CZ's stuff my dad and his friends were racing look boring. As time went on I realized they were shitty bikes, but I'm still fascinated with the creativity and audacity ROKON had to even try to sell such a radical bike. The fact that they actually got a few ISDE golds on the things is even more impressive. Anyway, money no object, this conversation piece would be in my basement.

oldspode
Pink Palace All Star

Postby oldspode » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:33 am

My ultimate price is no object bike would be one of Bob Hannahs late seventies works OW Yamaha's.Man were those bikes cool back in the day.A close second would be marty tripes works RC250 from around the same time.That bike was found recently and still looks like new.Not sure how to post the pics,but the OW is pictured in the link at the bottom of my post.I'll just keep dreaming.....
justpinit
pink palace legend

Postby justpinit » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:44 pm

Hannah's '79 YZ was incredible!! Terry Good http://www.mxworksbike.com owns both of the bikes you mentioned.

oldspode
Pink Palace All Star

Postby oldspode » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:23 am

Nice :! Man those bikes bring back some memories,thanks!
ki
killerdwarf

Postby killerdwarf » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:59 am

For some silly reason i have always wanted one of these
ki
killerdwarf

Postby killerdwarf » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:13 am

And I would sure like one of these to vintage race!
tooliemxer
Province/State: Ontario

Postby tooliemxer » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:52 am

My Dad has my old 91 in his garage Killer-I believe the one you posted is a 90?
Thanks-Hudsons Motorcycles,Boyesen,MxBonz,AXO,KSRwheels,Dubach Racing,Renthal,Twin Air,Decal Work,SteelMX optics and Chifor racing-I'm getting old but still go fast.....for a lap or two
justpinit
pink palace legend

Postby justpinit » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:11 am

I'm building an '88 RM250.......3 yrs later finally starting to put it together, sort of. Forks are wasted.....looking/waiting for parts.......again :roll: :roll:

At least I can finally start re-assembling the motor and rear suspension. Been eBayin' and swap meetin' it back together for a while now, customer rode it 'til it was dead and walked away from it, so less than $500 invested so far. :! :!

Here is the pile of parts I was left with when a customer didn't want to spend $1200 to fix his $400 bike!!

Next project (in the storage shed for now) is a 1977 Can-Am 175 MX......still tryin' to find a piston for that one.

........if anyone has a dead or partially dis-assembled '81 Maico 490 behind or in their barn/garage/shed, PM me!! Looking for a basket case to build as a racer from the frame up :v :v

Return to “Old SchOoL MoTo...”