Winter Projects

for those who have memories they want to cherish and re-live...or just forgot how bad the old bikes really were!

Moderators: bigwave, AirMail, pillow

justpinit
pink palace legend
Province/State: British Columbia
Location: Sitting in a pile of aluminum chips with a princess auto dremel

Winter Projects

Postby justpinit » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:29 pm

Well here we are....almost the OFF-SEASON for riding our dirt bikes :cry: :cry:

If any of you have a vintage/old school project or 2 on the go for next season, post up your pics in this thread (or start a new one if it's an all out resto!!) as it unfolds. I love it when guys post up stuff from "barn fresh" to "showroom" condition and show all the steps & mis-steps along the way.

Time to start ordering parts for a few winter projects. Here is a sample of what I have to work with so far:

1972 Hodaka Ace 100B+

I envision this bike as the ultimate pit cruiser. Pretty decent shape, but all the original lights & signals are gone. Probably do what everybody did to these things BITD.......cut the back fender so it's shorter like the Super Rat and put some # plates on it :v :v

Sorry for this shitty pic, but was trying to show the original orange color underneath the red rattle-can paint job. http://www.strictlyhodaka.com & http://www.hodaka-parts.com are both great sources for parts and retro Hodaka stuff.

A complete new top-end, (including the head & fresh, std. bore cylinder with 4 oversizes available) is already installed, so it runs great!! The kickstart gears & shaft are worn out & ready to go anytime, so have those already here along with the basic tune-up kit you always had in your toolbox in the '70's: spark plug and new points & condensor. Still waiting for a gasket/seal kit for the engine before I tear it all apart again to restore it. It's an absolute blast to ride "as is" right now :! :!

I believe my young apprentice installed the cylinder head backwards #-o #-o Good thing I no longer have a young apprentice working for me. Dumbass kid just didn't understand a thing about the principles of air-cooled heads. Big fins over the exhaust, there little buddy :v :v

More bikes to come....can you say............

1986 CR500R :budwieser: :budwieser:

Why do all of these old open bikes ALWAYS have shiny new rear fenders!! The tank is still in great shape, so a new seat cover and all new plastic will make this one look like a million $$$. The cooling system, however, needs some attention. It sat for so long that the rads are plugged and won't flow any coolant, and the head is now warped/leaking from overheating after bringing it out of storage last spring.

Ok...... anyone else??? Lets see those old school dirt bike projects!!
AirMail
Pink Palace All Star

Re: Winter Projects

Postby AirMail » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:17 pm

Let me guess the young apprentice got a job at Yamaha and they said what the hell lets go with it! :D Great stuff there Pinit!
mculley

Postby mculley » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:28 pm

Wes sweet hodaka but that 86 cr 500 takes the cake brings back memories like seein a number 14 on that bike trev yaho yuros
this is my buddy rob andrews....but anybody in kelowna will swear they say mccully do this 1000 times!!!!!!!!!!!!! love hammer

dals3

Postby dals3 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:51 am

Very cool projects, justpinit.

Can't wait to see some updated pics as the winter goes on....

:!
justpinit
pink palace legend

Postby justpinit » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:38 am

mculley wrote:Wes sweet hodaka but that 86 cr 500 takes the cake brings back memories like seein a number 14 on that bike trev yaho yuros

Trev is exactly who I had in mind to ride it in the spring when it's all done :! :!

I'm kinda hoping he doesn't see this until I show up at the track with it in the back of my truck. He may be a lurker, though. Or he'll surprise me one day & stop by the shop 8) 8)
justpinit
pink palace legend

Postby justpinit » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:23 am

Hodaka update: Frickin' flywheel is seized/rusted on the crank from when it was left outside over the winter a few years back.

I don't have the proper puller (all of the Japenese pullers I have are different), so I guess I'll have to order one :roll: :roll:

Waiting....waiting.....and more waiting!!
Maico450
Province/State: Ontario

Postby Maico450 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:15 am

This winters project is to build a 1971 Maico 400 Sq. BBl and make it competitive for the Ahrma
500 sportsman ex. class.
I have requested that Ahrma have a class for early 70's 2 strokes, ( 69 to 72) , but they feel
that a 400 Sq. BBl can and will be competitive with the 73/74 bikes that are usually run in
the Sportsman class.
So i am going to take the challenge and build a bike from parts inventory, put on a radial
conical front brake in place of the small drum brake stock on the Sq. Bbl, and see what it does.
Plans are to have the bike ready for Ahrma season opener in February, and I will bring along
my 74 Radial for backup.

Cheers Rick Hudson
justpinit
pink palace legend

Postby justpinit » Wed May 05, 2010 9:29 pm

Hey guys!! Not much progress on any of my project bikes over the winter. Took a job at a fishing resort over the winter and basically went snowmobiling with the wife & kids for the last 7 months. All 4 of us have sleds now and I clocked in a "record for me" 4000km sled season!! Just switched over to my summer schedule at the lodge and all the snow is melted, so probably drag a few bikes back into the workshop in the next couple of weeks after the sleds are all put away.

Was hoping to have at least 1 old-school bike ready for Kamloops this year. The Hodaka will be a really cool pit bike when it's finished....oh well :roll: :roll:
traileater

Postby traileater » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:29 pm

Not too many in canada are into vintage or restorations? Why the fuck not :eek:
You said post up your projects so heres mine......

$150 craigslist find....

A quick going over revealed it needs a crank rebuild, linkage bushings, steering stem bearings, fork seals and several other bits like cables, bars, plastics ect. Its missing the complete exhaust system, apparently theres a midpipe between the pipe and silencer? Its not as bad as it looks, its not a total basketcase :/
A big deal with these early/mid cr's is the magnesium water pump covers. They are known to corrode bad if the proper coolant isnt used. You might want to check your 500 for that. In 88-89 honda made the covers out of alum and dont have this problem, but are $$$. The covers can be fixed with Devcon alum. epoxy putty.
Is there any bike salvage shops in bc? Muddy motors is gone, not that theyre great to deal with. Im trying to avoid evilbay. AMSracing has quite a bit of reproduction parts.

L8R

Return to “Old SchOoL MoTo...”