Little Rock 79 Nat

for those who have memories they want to cherish and re-live...or just forgot how bad the old bikes really were!

Moderators: bigwave, AirMail, pillow

AirMail
Pink Palace All Star
Province/State: British Columbia

Re: Little Rock 79 Nat

Postby AirMail » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:02 pm

I remember Terry's pre-production water cooler as Yamaha let me have his last air cooler as a practice bike the fall before I moved to 125's. The the year was 1980 and that fall after the racing season was done most anybody that wanted winter moto practice could be found at Iona.
flapper
Pink Palace All Star

Postby flapper » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:02 pm

I remember the races at bouldergrove when we ran out on the dry lake! There was that huge mound that was the little island when the water was there and the first year they ran the track over it like a very very tall table top and only a few of the pros could clear the top.Then the folowing year or next race (was a long time ago and i'm gettin old)they reversed the direction so the take off was way better,and i remember wanting to clear that thing so bad that in my second moto i held it pinned on my 125 way too long,over jumped it,landed on the flat blew my front tire and hit the bars so hard with my chin that i bent my crossbar and dislocated my jaw.

When i got up it took me half of the last lap to realize the reason i was having trouble seeing was because my helmet was pushed up so far that the bottom foam on my goggles was across the middle of my eyes!!! lol. #-o Had to eat soup for a long time after that one.

I also remember being in total awe at the sound of Hammer going around that track on his honda 125 with all the gravelly sand berms,i think that bike only shut off maybe three times in total per lap. :!
just do something.. even if its wrong!!
traileater

Postby traileater » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:14 am

That lake run you mention was a captain marvel designed section. I remember there wasnt too many fans of that layout. Although at the time the old track was getting stale, they tried to make it different. It was around 1986..?
Airmail used to make short work of boldergrove as well as hammer, and dyck.
flapper
Pink Palace All Star

Postby flapper » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:04 pm

Those days of racing were fun,there didn't seem to be as much ATTITUDE as there is nowadays.I cant count how many times a huge group of racers and parents would hit the nearest smorg and a huge food fight would start, :v

Plenty of shinanigans back in the day :! :!
just do something.. even if its wrong!!
HAMMERTIME
the ultimate god
Location: watching the AMA lites then going to a CMRC Nat is like a steak dinner compared to a spam breakfast

Postby HAMMERTIME » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:02 am

flapper wrote:I also remember being in total awe at the sound of Hammer going around that track on his honda 125 with all the gravelly sand berms,i think that bike only shut off maybe three times in total per lap. :!

dude, did that ever bring back a great memory!! i was on a 125anf friesen was on a kx 250 the day it ran out in the lake. it was fucking awsome that day. after that big table heading back into the regular track, there was a launcher that i was only doing. my dad said i was landing 110 ft into the track. it was fucking nuts. we had a good battle that day but my pc cr125 prevailed. that lake thing was the best day ever at boulder!!
mculley

Postby mculley » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:23 pm

steve66 wrote:what
I was one of those guy's that got caught up in that silt on the bottom of the hill
this is my buddy rob andrews....but anybody in kelowna will swear they say mccully do this 1000 times!!!!!!!!!!!!! love hammer

WEBB

Postby WEBB » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:15 pm

I recall freaky landing off the big table top coming back from crossing the lake and holding it wicked and jumping back onto the old track and clearing all the braking bumps landing 50 feet past everyone else and sparks flying up member saying what the hell man and he said he didn't mean to the first time but it is way smooother man
I have a Roost Boost
chedder

Postby chedder » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:00 pm

Your right Brian , Hammer was the only one doing it in the first and when Freaky saw him doing it early in the 2nd he decided to take the 250 WFO open and launched at least an extra 20' for the last 1/2 of the race. I have no idea how he didn't break his frame. And i think you misquoted Freaky , i would imagine it was more like " wwoooow man , the bumps were too big and I like - bbbbpppp ( you know the sound ) just pinned it man" .
I'm young enough to remember but old enough to have the beer belly and plumber's crack to be proud of...
WEBB

Postby WEBB » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:30 pm

you got it ched hams was getting air but steve was over jumping it like no other he had flat frame rails that day well him and moelker
I have a Roost Boost

Return to “Old SchOoL MoTo...”