My Dad's 65th B'Day

100% Pure Off Topic Posts...

Moderators: bigwave, AirMail

dals3
Province/State: British Columbia

My Dad's 65th B'Day

Postby dals3 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:19 pm

Hey guys. Posted this on twitter a while ago, but haven't had time to fire it up here until now.

Last weekend my dad had his 65th b'day, so I went and chilled with him and my mum. Good times, good food, etc. My dad and I headed out for a nice, relaxed, two hour mtb ride. We rode, chatted, popped some wheelies, etc. and then followed it up with a nice espresso session at Starbucks. Mum stayed home to prep some food, do her tai chi (while we were out of her hair), etc.

I had a lot of fun and just thought I'd share a couple pics we took on my cel phone.

Beautiful scenery around Chilliwack, British Columbia:

Me and the birthday boy. And, yes, he did grow a beard for a while and then, yes, he did shave it into a mustache for the weekend, and YES, MY MUM WAS PISSED ABOUT IT!!! hahahahaha - idiot. :P

mxwilly
Province/State: Ontario

Re: My Dad's 65th B'Day

Postby mxwilly » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:40 pm

Too cool Dals.... glad you got to spend the weekend with your ma & pa! :! :!

I'm not sure when my parents got old.... dad's 77 and mom's 74 ..... the last 10 years has blown by. We moved back to the area where I grew up (near them) about 6 years ago. Been able to spend more time with them the last couple of years. I'm thankful for that.

Parents often get overlooked...and you don't appreciate them enough when your young. At least I think I take for granted that they'll always be there. It's only the last few years I can really see them aging and it's sad.

But....no sense being sad....be happy every day and live it to the best of your ability.

Great you had an awesome weekend! Cool to see you could share MTB'ing with your Dad. Does he ride moto?
Greg Wilhelm
CMRC #318

08 RMZ FoFiddy :)

special thanks to->
Boyd's Motorsports & Farm Supply, D4 Performance, http://www.insideoutrenovations.ca , Maxima Lubricants, and my wife Kim - the best pit b*tch in the business!!!!
dals3
Province/State: British Columbia

Re: My Dad's 65th B'Day

Postby dals3 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:55 pm

Thanks, mxwilly! Yeah, it was fun. I got my dad into mtb riding about 15 years ago. We used to do a lot more "trail" riding than we do now, but we still love to get out and ride around wherever we can.

He never rode mx...well unless you count the time he rode my '85 CR250 and accidentally launched himself out of a natural terrain bowl, blew off the side of the bike only to have it land on him and punch the bike's footpeg THROUGH the top of a hiking boot he was wearing and impale it into his leg...it was NASTY. #-o

He's a machinist by trade though and he taught me a lot about using tools (and logic) and how to work on bicycles, skateboards, motorcycles, etc. I can't tell you how many frames, footpegs, etc he welded back together for me and my friends. He's a total "McGuyver"...Dude can fix ANYTHING. I always wanted to just get it working, but he made me take it apart, clean it, fix/replace it PROPERLY. Now I sure appreciate that.

My dad was/is more of a stick and ball-type guy. He always played hockey (up 'til about 3 years ago when an on-ice hip injury, broken ribs, took him out for a bit) He took me to ALL my hockey and baseball stuff from the time I was 6 until about 15 or 16 - when I really had gotten into mx. Also took my little brother to soccer, cubs, bmx, etc. Busy guy 'cause he was playing and working and going to university to get a business degree as well.

Kinda bummed for you when I read about your parents getting older...My wife and I have actually started to notice it in our parents in the last couple of years. It is kind of sad for sure. But you're also correct in saying we've gotta live every day, etc.

Thanks for the reply and sharing your story, Dude.

:!

Return to “NON MOTO...”