I'm Hurtin' Bad...

100% Pure Off Topic Posts...

Moderators: bigwave, AirMail

dals3
Province/State: British Columbia

I'm Hurtin' Bad...

Postby dals3 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:46 pm

Hey all. Michelle and I had to put one of our Great Danes down this morning. We're absolutely gutted. Most of you may remember Bodum was born with a condition called Mega Esophagus. Long story but we found out when he was about 2 months old. Most breeders and "dog people" told us to put him down. Our breeder said she trusted us and would stand by and support us in whatever we decided to do. Michelle and I did a bunch of research (and had already fallen in love with our new "baby), and we decided we'd keep him and do our best. Our vet said he'd probably be small and that he might not make it to a year old....
Well, Bodum was taller than our "normal", healthy female, weighed 140 lbs (the female is 152 lbs) and had his 3rd B'DAY in July.
I won't go into all the details, but we worked so hard, were diligent in our feeding system (he ate with his dish on a counter, standing upright with his front paws on a chair, swallowed an antacid, washed it down with a bunch of water and then sat upright in a chair with one of us for 20 min - every time he ate), and really paid close attention to him and his body, etc.
Anyway, recently Bo had been getting more and more bouts with his esophagus-related issues. He had a great couple of weeks, including Sunday, but then got sick Sunday night/Monday morning. He got rocked with a super-bad pneumonia last night and we had to make that BRUTAL decision. We took him to our vet this morning and he didn't leave the clinic. We've been friends with this vet for about 16 years and he's an amazing man. He really loved Bodum and he did a lot to help us with his condition over the years. Michelle and I were able to sit on the floor with Bo in our laps as he took his last breaths. The vet held both of our hands as well and I knew he and the vet tech (another friend of ours) were fighting back their tears as well. We had the office to ourselves and were able to spend as much time as we wanted with our boy.

I'm a little worried about our female (Venti), but it's good that she's pretty independent. She was a little weird today, but I think she'll be alright soon enough; I hope so.

Sorry for the bad news and sorry for the length of this post.

Bodum had a great, happy, fun, (mostly healthy) life with our family and we loved him dearly. I know we're going to miss him like crazy. He was an AWESOME dog. He loved everybody and everybody loved him.

Here's just a few of the gazillion pics we have of Bodum. Hopefully they make you smile like they do for Michelle and I:

CeeDub

Re: I'm Hurtin' Bad...

Postby CeeDub » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:11 am

Wow man so sorry to hear that.....losing a dog and great companion is rough. Sounds like he had a great life with you no matter how short.
mxwilly
Province/State: Ontario

Postby mxwilly » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:50 am

Awe crap Sheldon, so sorry to hear this.

You and Michelle gave Bodum a chance at life he never would of had. Those pictures prove 3 years and a million great memories.

Feel so bad for ya man, we've had to do the same. One of the toughest things I've ever had to do in life.

Chin up bro, give Venti some loving, she'll be heart broken too.
Greg Wilhelm
CMRC #318

08 RMZ FoFiddy :)

special thanks to->
Boyd's Motorsports & Farm Supply, D4 Performance, http://www.insideoutrenovations.ca , Maxima Lubricants, and my wife Kim - the best pit b*tch in the business!!!!
dals3
Province/State: British Columbia

Postby dals3 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:56 am

Thanks guys. The morning routine was certainly different here today. Felt weird (sad) to not have that big goofy face staring me down ready to go for a pee and to get his food. I know it will get easier with time. We've (all) had to go through it at some point. Just tough when it's fresh.

I appreciate the sentiments, boys.
killerdwarf
Province/State: Ontario

Postby killerdwarf » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:00 pm

So sorry about your loss Sheldon.
WEC #717

Return to “NON MOTO...”